Saturday, October 27, 2007

young and the restless

Recently, I was invited into a group of young men to join a discipleship process. It's where my heart beat for 10 years in Austin: the opportunity to impact the next generation through intentional relationships leading to life-transformation. I'm still passionate about investing in collegians, young singles and 20-something married couples.

Recently, I searched the database at Pantego Bible Church and discovered that we have more than 1000 entries for singles who are 19-29 years old. Yet, this demographic is noticeably absent in our church. Even though young singles make up almost 50% of the DFW population, we are missing this incredible group and missing the opportunity to impact the next generation as a result.

I'm grateful to Paul and Lynn Gibbs and the faithful leaders who have been meeting a small group at their home for the last 18 months. I dream of dozens of similar communities planted all over the Arlington-Ft. Worth and surrounding areas. While PBC has several established groups of older singles, our staff has been discussing specific initiatives to reach the 20-something crowd. I'm excited to be in a place that is committed to making disciples of all people. Please be in prayer with us as we explore our possibilities and potential. Soli Deo Gloria.

No comments: