Friday, October 19, 2007

light your world

Last Sunday, I began a new sermon series called StreetLights. The title came from Tom Anthony, our Ft. Worth Area Pastor, and reflects our ongoing commitment to let Christ shine in our neighborhood [Matthew 5:14]. The concept is simple. My neighborhood has street lights every 5-6 houses. Each light shines on the home yard where it is located, the homes on either side and several homes across the street. What if I began to see my street as my mission field--Not the whole neighborhood. Just those who live right around me. On the same Sunday, we commissioned Dave and Christy Johnson as Pantego Bible Church missionaries to Ethiopia. We want to see people from every nation, tribe and tongue come to know Jesus Christ personally. But, reaching the whole world begins with reaching our world next door.

To explore this topic further, we will use the acronym L-I-G-H-T-S. Each letter stands for a simple way to connect with our neighbors. Each connection means a greater possibility that people living around me might come to know Jesus Christ and dive into the community I already experience. I can't wait to see what God does through His church as we light our world with the light of Christ within us!

No comments: