Wednesday, May 20, 2009

humility wins out

Kris Allen wins. He's the newest American Idol--a dark horse leading from the back of the pack. He is the exact opposite of his contender, Adam Lambert. He's understated, unspectacular and unpretentious. And, for this reason, he was the underdog...not expected to win according to Idol blog posts. But, character upstaged talent. In a surprising move, America voted for humility.

No doubt, Kris will need some coaching to help him stand in the spotlight. But, I'd like to think that his meekness, not his music, won the day. It makes me wonder if this is what attracted so many people to Jesus. The Lord would never have gone platinum with back-up singers, yet He was humble--completely unexpected for a Messiah.

As I watched Kris' genuinely-surprised win, I longed to be more unvarnished and less perfected. More heart, less haughtiness. A little more like Kris, and much more like Christ.

6 comments:

Eric said...

Dang it! I have been carefully avoiding every news site so I wouldn't find out the results until we finish downloading (and watching) the results show.

Oh well, such is life in Malaysia. Of the various reality shows we have watched, I think I've only been in the dark a couple times - I always seem to stumble across the winner!

David Daniels said...

So sorry Eric! I guess I should have put a "spoiler alert" at the beginning. But, I had no idea anyone in Malaysia would be reading today! Happy travels.

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Not in Malaysia but I am in Singapore... and we did get to watch it live here with America... loved it and could not agree more with what you said...

da momma said...

ah cool Camille is my friend from College Station and she reads you too :) Yay for Kris! He had our vote

Arlene said...

I like the youtube video of him singing "God of This City." Can't believe he already has a spot in wikipedia-it says he is a "devout Christian." I loved his honest shock, too! :o)
Arlene

Tanja Helms said...

Amen brother. My sentiments exactly.