Wednesday, December 9, 2009

chirp chirp


My daughter was born to chirp. Her name, Jenna, means "little bird" and she hasn't stopped tweeting since she took her first breath. I've never met another human being who sings so often...all the time....everywhere. But, that's how her Creator made her and she is most content when she lives out her God-given design.

We could see it on her face during last night's Christmas Concert. Jenna sings with the Arlington All-City Boys and Girls Choir and they were invited to share the stage with the Master Chorale for a special Christmas program. My little girl, front row and center, wouldn't have chosen to be anywhere else. A song in German, one in Spanish and a finale with show choir hand motions---our little bird chirped, smiling ear to ear.

Jenna proved an important reality: We are most glad when we do what we were designed to do. God made each one of us as unique creations, specially fashioned to do "good works which God prepared in advance for us to do" [Ephesians 2:10]. There are many things we can do. But, when we discover what which we were Divinely designed to do, our heart is glad. For me, it's preaching. For another, it might be composing and presenting music. A friend of mine is most glad when she's giving. Another feels at home when he's listening to others.

Don't settle for what you can do. Find out what you were made to do. And do it. And, as you do, God will put a song in your heart. Chirp, chirp.

3 comments:

The Batman said...

Reminds me of the words of Eric Liddle to his sister in "Chariots of Fire": "God made me for a purpose. But He also made me fast. And I feel His pleasure when I run."

Pilgrim said...

This is so true. God called me to keep care of children, and nothing makes me happier. I could do something that makes lots more money, but my heart would be empty.

Church has been SO awesome-- loved Sunday's service--it was incredible. Keep up the great work.

da momma said...

I love how you love your little girl! She is a lucky daughter!