Saturday, December 8, 2007

a bueno bride, beach and book



Tiffany and I just returned from a great anniversary vacation in Cancun, Mexico. It's the first away time that she and I have enjoyed without kids in 14 years. It's sad to say. But, the rhythm of ministry during December rarely gave me the time to get away. This year, we just took the plunge. And--wow--what an incredible time away.



We enjoyed our stay at the luxurious JW Marriott on the beach. Our 6th floor suite had two balconies and we slept with the door open to hear the ocean each evening. Our days were delightfully uneventful--searching for sand dollars on the beach, relaxing and reading. I started and finished The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible. It was recommended to me by one of our worship team members and it was a fantastic vacation read. I'll reflect on the book's content in another posting.

It was difficult to leave our island paradise. But, we return refreshed. Not just our souls, but as soulmates. I'm already planning next year's trip.

5 comments:

Jungle Pop said...

Congratulations, and you deserve it! I hope you guys didn't experience even one drop of guilt about that indulgence either.

Our own story about splurging: Our first year here in country, we lived in a VERY simple apartment - no fridge or washing machine at first, no A/C, no hot water. Every three months, we went to a 5-star hotel (Hyatt), cranked the A/C as cold as it would go, and spent the whole weekend bundled up under the covers, watching TV and taking steaming hot showers. Once we moved to a place with A/C, those visits reduced drastically!

Anonymous said...

I am very happy for you both - well deserved!

Happy Anniversary.

Leilanni said...

I think it's wonderful that you allow your marriage to be most important besides God. Great example and a good reminder that we all need to take time just to BE with our soulmates.

And I'm greatly enjoying the beautiful beach pictures on this cold, rainy day!!!

Liesl said...

Happy Anniversary!
I'm so glad you and Tiffany got a chance to get away on a nice vacation this year. I love that the pastor who married my husband and me not only taught us what a Godly marriage looks like by his words, but also by example. God bless you as you spend many more years with your soulmate!

~Liesl Irwin (for Steve as well)
www.irwin-update.blogspot.com

King Kong Rah Rah Rah said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I stumbled upon your blog through Truman Lo's blog. I did sound for many years at ECHO.. and led a small group. I don't know if you remember me, but seeing your faces on this blog shocked me into all those wonderful college memories. You two look fantastic.. not a day older. But your children! Geez! They're all so huge! And now I have one of my own and one on the way.

God is amazing, and I pray that He'll continue to bless your ministries.

-Angela